Armchair with chrome plated tubular steel frame. Seat and back in saddle leather. MADE IN ITALY.
In 1925 the Dutch architect Mart Stam, at that time living in Berlin, developed a chair without any back legs that relied instead on the strength of a single twisting piece of piping to support and counterbalance the weight of a seated person.
Mart Stam is an architect, planner and designer (especially chairs). Dutch. Stamréussit Mart to be present at important moments in the history of twentieth century architecture. Mart Stam studied at the Royal School of Higher Studies in Amsterdam. At Zurich in 1923 it was originally the magazine ABC Beiträge zum Bauen (the ABC’s contribution to the building) with the architect Hans Schmidt, Hannes Meyer, and future director of the Bauhaus and El Lissitzky. After moving to Berlin, designed a chair Stam cantilever steel tube using pipes and gas pipes connecting standard. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe read the work of Stam on the creation of chairs in the design of Weissenhofsiedlung and made by Marcel Breuer of the Bauhaus. This immediately brought the two creators, as well as Mies Breuer, to a variation on the theme of tubular cantilever chair. This gives a mortance Mart Stam in terms of influence on his contemporaries. In the late 20, Breuer and Stam went before the German courts, everyone believed to be the inventor of the basic principle of the cantilever chair. Stam won, and from that moment some parts specific Breuer are wrongly attributed to Stam. Stam participation in the project developed permanent home in 1927 for the exhibition “Die Wohnung” (Habitat) in Stuttgart. Thus côtoiera Le Corbusier, by Peter Behrens, Bruno Taut, Hans Poelzig and Walter Gropius. In 1927 he became a founding member, with Gerrit Rietveld and Hendrik Petrus Berlage, the CIAM, which are international conventions of modern architecture to promote architecture and town planning services. In 1930 Stam became one of twenty architects and planners who, by Ernst May, the town planner for the city of Frankfurt, went USSR together to create a string of towns whose Stalinist Magnitogorsk. Mart Stam was on site in February 1931 to participate in house construction workers sound, the project was a failure. Mart Stam moved to head the site Makeyvka in Ukraine in 1932; then Orsk especially with a Bauhaus student who becomes his wife; Balgash then, the mining town Soviet operator copper. Stam returned to the Netherlands in 1934. Mart Stam was later appointed director of the Institute of Industrial Arts in the Netherlands. In 1948 he took a professorship at the Academy of Arts figurative Dresden and began to preach in favor of a strict and modern structure for the reconstruction of the badly damaged town, a plan that does not require the approval of the inhabitants. Mart Stam became director of the Higher Institute of Arts in Berlin.