Floor lamp 1923
Base in metal, lacquered black. Rough surface. Stem in chrome-plated metal. Shade in sanded glass. Maximum recommended bulb is 100W. Made in Italy.
The reproduction is faithful to the original, following Gyula Pap’s specifications, with the permission of the Bauhaus Archives in Berlin. This floor lamp was featured in 1925 in the Bauhaus Book No. 7, “Neue Arbeiten der Bauhauswerkstätten” (New Creations of the Bauhaus Workshops). Plate Glass is connected by a nickel-plated tubular unit to a laquered black iron baseplate. The bulp is semi-silvered. The Gyula Pap floor lamp was created specifically for this type of bulb, which had just been invented at that time.
Gyula Pap (1899 - 1983) was one of the Bauhaus artist-students. He later became a teacher and the Bauhaus had a great influence on his whole life. The black and white photographs, original paintings, fabrics and metalwork displayed are from the collector Dr. Friedrich Hellersberg, Heppenheim near Frankfurt, Germany. The exhibition is on loan by Andrea Hassan, who studied at what is now called the Bauhaus University in Weimar, and has been a Dubai resident for nearly 25 years. As a mediator between the cultures, she has brought this exhibition here to raise awareness about the Bauhaus. “If nothing else, Dubai’s skyline would never have developed without Bauhaus principles set forth,” she observes.